Friday 17 August 2018

Binding of Isaac Style Dungeon?

Of course it can be done. My problem learning this is trying to get a style using these textures to fit perfectly with one another. I dont really like dungeons that look a certain way. I prefer my dungeons and art, classic and retro.

So I began with a 15x9 inch (300dpi) grid. Making sure when printed it can, would, fit any dungeon miniature. 
 Next was the basic floor. As above I add the rulers to separate the walls from the floor. Added a texture, a basic stone image. Ensured I had one detailed enough. I ended up doing the copy and paste to fill the entire floor up. (Which of course ended up with visible errors). Took my regular paint brush, a lighter and darker colour of the same colour. Blended them together using a grunge brush, and painted all over the floor, inverting and deleted anything in excess outside the floors grid.

 Next was the walls of the dungeon. This I didn't have an idea of how to do. Never attempted it before. So took an image of a basic stone wall, something that was seamless enough to use. Covered the entire top row.

 Once I did that. I hit transform, perspective to get the "top down view". Copy and pasted the other three sides.

 Next.. was the clean up. Removing anything from the walls I didn't need. Simple enough...

 Adding next was a layer of black for the background. Adding black to the corners of the walls and floor edges, that would become shadows.. The walls were blended with a colour that would fit the floor better, adjusting the exposure and vibrance.

 Next. I gave the shadows some Gauz blur (24% around) to blend those shadows in a little better.. I rendered some lighting effects on the walls and the floor. (a single omni light, exact same for both). Removed some of the top sections of each side of the wall.

 Using a brush using just white, I attempted (depth using shadows not something ive done for a while). to give the dungeon some better lighting, started at the very top of the walls using just one row of the bricks. Gauz blur, transparency about 80%. Second row the same, but this time transparency was set to around 50%.

So that just leaves the doors to do. I may or may not do additional details in the dungeons. Webs, blood, water and so on, but I will take a bit of time to work out how to do them correctly. In the mean time, here is the final image of the Binding of Isaac dungeon with a picture of the fantastic game I used as reference.





No comments:

Post a Comment